At NEDT, we take pride in providing information so you can make better-informed decisions when it comes to buying, storing, handling, and disposing of household hazardous products. These come in the form of our Fact Sheets: handy PDFs that provide all the information you’ll need. Below, we’ll better explain how to use this hazardous waste education, provide additional links you’ll find helpful, and review everything else needed to make your home a safer place when it comes to hazardous waste.
Reading an NEDT Fact Sheet
Each NEDT Fact Sheet PDF generally has three sections, each containing useful information on hazardous waste education for homeowners who have these products. Learn more about each section below:
Located at the top for a reason, the Hazards section gives you the important information on why this product is considered hazardous waste, including harmful contents, advisories against dangerous use (storing flammable products near flame or spark hazards, for example), and dangers if inhaled, etc.
Safety isn’t just in disposal—how you handle these products while using them is vital. This section covers how to safely use the product, including whether protective gear is required, what important information you should read on the container, and what safe storage options are available.
Management Options Section
This section includes all your options when it comes to disposing of household hazardous products. As we’ve always said, “Buy only what you need; use up what you have; and recycle any leftovers.” You’ll find your options for reusing, recycling, throwing away, and bringing it to a collection center.
Helpful Links & Further Reading
On our Facts Sheets page, you’ll also find some helpful links to other resources on hazardous waste education, both on and off our website. Most of them are below—along with a few more helpful links!
- MassDEP: We’ve worked with the Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) since our creation. They are a great resource for our MA customers and another knowledge base.
- NEDTinc.com: If you have questions or needs for your business when it comes to hazardous waste, visit our commercial website for information on transportation, remediation, and more!
- Hazardous Rating Quiz: Curious about how much household hazardous waste you’ve got at home? Take our quiz! It provides an overview of home safety and disposal options.
- Fact Sheet Blogs: Want to see all the blogs we’ve written that expand on our fact sheets? Check out the “Fact Sheets” category on our blog for additional information and links.
- Resources Article: We’ve also published an entire article just about additional resources, including specific links to find your local resources and charity and disposal options.
NEDT’s Household Hazardous Products Collection Centers were founded out of the desire to provide alternatives to the often complex and rare opportunities for residents to get hazardous products out of their homes. And our responsibility extends to educating residents on this matter. Need further help troubleshooting your household hazardous waste? Give us a call at 1.866.769.1621 or contact us online. You can also stop by our collection centers in person; learn what we accept and our locations and times before you head out.